Wednesday, June 2, 2021

 

Williamsburg Update #2

Josh Rachita, Historical Interpreter, 

*Josh is interning for the summer at Colonial Williamsburg.*

May 30, 2021

Hello y’all,

            I just finished my second week here at Williamsburg! I have been taking advantage of my staff pass and have been watching programs around town on my days off. Last Sunday I attended a lecture on the “Weathervanes of Williamsburg” which was given by Master Blacksmith Ken Schwarz. I also attended a musical performance called Joy in the Morning which told the story of the African American slave experience through their religious music. In the shop I continued to work on spoons and nails, and I am seeing some quick improvement in the quality of my work. Lastly, this morning I helped the Manager of Rare Breeds wean lambs which was a very fun experience!

            In his almost forty years here at Williamsburg, Master Blacksmith Ken Schwarz has been part of and led many workshops on reproductions of weathervanes here in town. Historically, weathervanes were used to denote important public buildings like the courthouse, magazine, capitol, palace, hospital, and the Bruton Parish church. My favorite anecdote from his talk was the discovery that the round pinnacle on the Bruton Parish Church steeple is an artillery shell from the War of 1812 that was placed there during restoration in the early 20th century. The shop also recently completed a new weathervane for the new decorative arts museum.

            I really enjoyed the music from the Joy in the Morning performance. The performers used both dialogue and song to interpret the experiences of the enslaved during the 18th century. I really enjoyed it because religion is innately related to their music. (This spring I took a class on the history of American Religion with Dr. Park. We learned that American religion has always been extremely diverse.) This performance included songs in English and various African languages and both Christian and African deities. It was a very powerful performance to attend.

            This week I not only continued to refine my forge work, but I also got some practice interpreting. I’ve begun speaking with guests during the first and last hours of the day. I am feeling comfortable with the information, which is very similar to the information I share with guests at the Sam Houston Memorial Museum. I’ve also been learning new information from reading and listening to the other interpreters. It is very exciting to see so many people that are interested in what we are doing. The quality of my spoons and nails is also improving. I’ve been warming up with nails and then working on the spoons in the middle of the day. They take a considerable amount of clean-up work or “whitesmithing.” Whitesmithing is named for the shiny, bright surface that is produced on the metal after it is filed and polished. Eventually, the surface will develop a dark patina which is a very desirable surface finish. The purpose of whitesmithing is less about color and more about texture of the piece. Things like nails have no cleanup work at all but others like kitchen utensils are very often “filed bright.”

            This week I also helped the Manager of Rare Breeds, Elaine Shirley, wean lambs. When the lambs are old enough and no longer dependent on their mother’s milk, they have to be separated. For the mothers, this is a welcome experience, but the lambs do not reciprocate that feeling. However, this is a necessary step in the sheep’s lives. Elaine described it as “going away for college” which I found particularly amusing thinking about sheep attending Sam Houston State! The sheep at Colonial Williamsburg are called Leicester Long Wools. They are an English breed and were brought to America in the 18th century. In the 18th century they were bred for their quick growth and good meat production. The sheep here provide both wool for the spinners and weavers and also some meat for the Historic Foodways Program. Earlier in the week, the Historic Foodways Program made mutton steaks and mutton stew at the Armoury kitchen which the staff got to enjoy!

            The pictures this week include some “whitesmithed” and finished spoons I made, a picture that a guest, Cindy McEnery, took while I was working, a photo of the Leicester Long Wools, and a photo of me at the forge in costume.















No comments:

Post a Comment