Wednesday, May 26, 2021

 

Williamsburg Update #1

Josh Rachita, Historical Interpreter

Hello all,

     I have just finished my first week here at Colonial Williamsburg. I have been able to work in the forge the last three days of this week. The other day I was doing some HR things, getting fitted for costumes, and doing some reading about the site and the city here. I also was able to go see Yorktown, the two Jamestown sites, and on the drive up I stopped at Appomattox Courthouse.

            The building I will be working in the summer is called the James Anderson Blacksmith Shop and Public Armoury. The reconstructed shop was built in 2012 on the original foundations of the 1778 building which was built to serve as a public armoury to help repair the Continental Army’s muskets and furnish other iron and steel objects needed for the war effort. Archeologists knew where to install windows, and the subsequent work benches, due to the array of debris that was cast outside the windows by blacksmiths in the 18th century.

            This week I have been working on nails and tasting spoons. Over the course of about a day’s work I was able to make 150 nails. This number may seem like a lot (or maybe it doesn’t) but specialized nail makers in the time period were averaging 2,300 nails a day. In the 18th century, specialization was the key to cheap goods. With a labor shortage, especially among skilled tradesmen in America, imported goods from England were a third of the price of American made goods. This meant that the “village blacksmith” was more often fixing broken items or doing custom work than building stock to sell for retail.

            Luckily, today the museum has enough demand for forged goods which means the blacksmith shop is continually making historic reproduction pieces for use by other interpreters and buildings around the museum. I suspect that once my nails are deemed adequate, they will be amongst the 15,000 that will be used to build a new storehouse for the carpenter’s yard. 

            I am already seeing the quality of my work increase even after only a week here. Working alongside six excellent full-time smiths and having their advice and instruction has been extremely helpful. I have even been able to speak with some guests as they peek through the window near my forge and have been able to share new material I have learned through my reading and conversations. On my days off, I have been enjoying the wealth of programs CW has to offer and visiting other trade shops around town. I also sat down and had a great conversation with one of the interpreters who plays Sarah Trebell, the owner of the Raleigh Tavern in the 1760s, about her experience in public history.

            I am working on getting some pictures of me working in the forge from a photographer who took some of me last week, and I’ll get those to y’all when I can. For now, I’ve included some pictures of my work thus far and some other pictures around the city and the shop on my day off.














No comments:

Post a Comment