Saturday, July 17, 2021

    Williamsburg Update #8

Josh Rachita, Historical Interpreter  

*Josh is interning for the summer at Colonial Williamsburg.*

Hello All,

            I had a really great week last week! I continued working on the fireplace shovels, and I filed my first one. Though there is a lot to improve I am happy with how it came out. I also got to go to Monticello this week. My host worked with the man who portrays Thomas Jefferson for over 30 years before he went to Monticello. We got to visit with him after one of his performances which was a great treat!

            Monticello was a very interesting place to go. Jefferson designed the house several times. He always seemed to be in debt because of all the building projects that he would partake in. My favorite part was “Mulberry Row,” the area where his enslaved workers lived and worked. Jefferson experimented with a variety of industrious ventures like nail making, wine, and textiles. I of course enjoyed reading about the nail making done on site and brought lots of questions and thoughts back to the crew at CW.  

            I also toured around CW on my other day off this week. I visited with the cabinet makers, farmers, founders, tailors, and shoemakers. The master shoemaker gave a lecture in the afternoon about the tradition of concealing footwear in newly constructed buildings as a way to ward off evil spirits and encourage safety and prosperity. While visiting with the farmers, they showed me around in the model farm. They pointed out what the different tobacco leaves felt like and at what texture they are ready to harvest. I immediately felt the tar leaching out of the tobacco leaves which really surprised me. I always thought tar was a modern additive in tobacco products. I finished the day with a tour of the George Wythe home. George Wythe was a signer of the Declaration of Independence and one of Thomas Jefferson’s law tutors.

            I’ve been working hard in the shop. I’ve been trying to absorb as much as I can while I’m here with such great smiths. I’ve been able to get the process on the fireplace shovels down but I am still hoping to get them much cleaner. I’ve also been relearning the process of making nails since making a new nail header. Much of nail making is muscle memory so trying to be efficient in a new tool can be very challenging.

***************************************************************

            The pictures this week are Elaine and me at Monticello with Bill Barker/Thomas Jefferson, a finished fireplace shovel, and a close up shot of the handle detail.













No comments:

Post a Comment