Wednesday, October 14, 2020

Connecting with Margaret Houston 

__by way of Breast Cancer__

 Nancy Gajan, SHMM Historical Interpreter

“The ultrasound shows the lump to be of a suspicious nature and we’ll need to schedule a biopsy”.  While I wasn’t too concerned about the doctor’s announcement of the lump I had found in my breast, (although I should’ve been), I was concerned about any amount of pain that may be inflicted during whatever procedures awaited me.  As was my usual custom of facing things, I tend not to worry too much until necessary.  We have the best technology, best treatments, best oncologists, and medical facilities in the world, so I knew, whatever the outcome of the biopsy, I was going to be in good hands one way or the other.  While I waited for this procedure though, as a Historical Interpreter at the Sam Houston Memorial Museum, I couldn’t help but think of Margaret Houston who, in 1846, also discovered a lump in her breast at a time in history where there were no real treatments, medicines, medical facilities or procedures that could offer any type of cure much less survival.  I suddenly found myself truly connecting with this woman of strength and faith in God, who not only survived her journey of a breast tumor but did it while taking care of the everyday business of home and family – much like I have done during my own journey.  


Margaret Houston

There were tests, tests and more tests.  An ultrasound here, a CT scan there, blood work, lots of blood work - all to be handed over to the insurance company for approval before any type of treatments can begin.  As frustrating as it was waiting on the insurance industry to realize my oncologist knew what I did or didn’t need, I was comforted in the knowledge of having such treatments available to me as well as an oncologist who was well versed in this area of women’s health whereas, Margaret Houston did not.  Although her doctor - Dr. Ashbel Smith, was the best doctor accessible to Margaret, what he offered medically at the time wasn’t much by today’s standards.   

One thing I’ve learned through this, is there’s more than one type of cancer.  Sure, I knew there was bone cancer, skin cancer, breast cancer, liver cancer … the list goes on.  But never did I know that there were specific types of cancer for each area and each specific type of cancer would need its own specific formula of treatments - something I’m almost positive wasn’t known in the 19th century.  If there was a tumor, it needed to be removed or its victim would face certain misery then death and even then, the patient may still face certain death due to possible infections and complications such as gangrene from the procedures performed while removing the cancerous tumor.  There was the only form of treatment for cancer in the 19th Century and that was removal of the tumor. 

While I had the luxury of air conditioning, lounging chairs, a team of oncologists, nurses, lab technicians to tend to every facet of the treatment process, Margaret Houston and the treatment that was even available for her breast tumor, was never far from my thoughts.  Like me, she had a family to think about, to live for, to take care of.  She also had a husband who loved her dearly and although he was in Washington serving as Texas’ Senator the majority of the time, through correspondence, he did everything he could to offer words of love and encouragement, laced with deep concern over her health and wellbeing.  Although letters cannot compensate for actually having one’s husband present during such a difficult and trying time (like I was so fortunate to have) I’m sure Sam’s letters offered some comfort especially since she had friends, family and the fellowship of her church who were looking after her wellbeing.  But having cancer didn’t just affect Margaret, it affected everyone who loved and cared about her as they had to witness the pain and misery, she no doubt experienced.  Like me, Margaret was a woman of faith, a faith that was surely tested especially on the most difficult of days that seemed to have dragged on as she pushed through an uncertain and painful time. 

I’m grateful to now find myself on the other side of this most unpleasant and challenging journey.  Treatment was a success and surgery concluded there was no cancer found. So, with October being Breast Cancer Awareness month, I cannot overstate the importance of self-examinations and yearly well-woman exams with your doctor.  It may turn up to be nothing to worry about at all.  Unlike Margaret Houston and all the women before and after her who didn’t have the medical advantages we have today, why wouldn’t you take this matter seriously?   Why wouldn’t you take advantage of all the medical advances we’ve achieved to catch and cure this disease?

I encourage you to read the following article written by Danielle R. Brissette, former Curator of Education here at the Sam Houston Memorial Museum, as it gives detailed insight to Margaret Houston and her experience with breast cancer.  It’ll be well worth your time – I guarantee it.  

So, don’t forget to give yourselves monthly self-examinations and get to your doctor for those yearly well-woman examinations.  It’s well worth what little time it takes for what could be a life or death matter.

Margaret Houston's Breast Cancer by Danielle Brissette, October 14, 2012  https://samhoustonmemorialmuseum.blogspot.com/2012/10/margaret-houstons-breast-cancer-by.html 


Nancy Gajan, SHMM Historical Interpreter



 


 

1 comment:

  1. Interesting comparison. Cancer is a lonely journey no matter how many friends and family one has for support. It must have been so much harder for Margaret in Sam’s absence and her responsibilities managing the farm. Thank you for sharing and highlighting Margaret’s fortitude.

    ReplyDelete